03 January 2008

Todd and the Guymelefs

This is late in coming, but I saw Sweeney Todd the day it came out. Fortunately, I can say it was the best movie I've seen since 3:10 to Yuma and Stardust. I went with a few people, one of which was "ee-ing" over going to see it since he loves the operetta. I loved the movie, and so did he, so it's safe to say it's modification-approved. But really, did we really think that anything that Johnny Depp and Tim Burton were involved in would be horrible? Especially if it's dark. I had my reservations about Helena Bonham-Carter, but it was an excellent performance.

My boyfriend and I also sat down and watched the Escaflowne series, The Vision of Escaflowne. It's important to distinguish the series from the movie. I watched the movie a long while ago back in college and remember thinking, "I thought people said Escaflowne was better than this." A lot of fans of the series don't enjoy the movie. I figure I won't waste 2 hours of my time re-watching it.

The series is about a girl in high school who is wisked away to a magical world, Gaea, where one can see the Earth and moon in the sky. The empire Zaibach wishes to harnass the sleeping power of Atlantis, and she is caught in the middle of the clash between those who wish to see the power used and those who feel it should remain hidden.

It's good. Parts of the ending bothered me, and there were lots of lull periods. It could have been a half-season series and been better, but I know that's not reasonable to request, but it would have been a nice compromise between a crappy movie and an unnecessary full season.

But as my boyfriend pointed out, as great as Miyazaki is, it's nice to see some characters that aren't the Miyazaki stereotypes! The soundtrack, which I've been listening to for some time on my iPod, is also amazing. Definitely a one-season wonder, and a recommend to any anime goers, even those of us who don't like mecha.

Wiki: Vision of Escaflowne

Wow, I haven't done one of these in forever!

The Vision of Escaflowne

Plotline: Good
Characters: Very Good
Music: Excellent
Animation: Very Good

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home