17 March 2008

Yours Truly Chili (and Some Cornbread or Something)

Finally, a recipe that I can call MINE!

When I was in college, I asked my mom how to make chili. She didn't really have a "recipe", but she listed off the ingredients to make a pot of chili. Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, meat. And anything else you want to throw in. That was it? Wow, that was easy!

For awhile I made some mediocre meaty chili. Then it happened that Pathmark dealt me a blow of...BAD MEAT. I mean bad. When I was cooking it, it smelled sour. I cursed the heavens and screamed, "NOW what am I going to do!?". I tried chicken chili, but it wasn't the same. So, I decided to forsake meat and make three-bean chili instead. I'm not a vegetarian, but it saves a lot on calories and fat and tastes delicioso!

But me, being me...I don't like hardset recipes. So for what it's worth:

Yours Truly Chili

Ingredients
1 medium can dark red kidney beans
1 medium can black beans
1 medium can cannelini (or white kidney) beans
1 medium can diced tomatoes
2 small cans tomato sauce
1/2 medium onion (or more, to taste)
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbs cocoa
2-4 Tbs flour (depending on how well you drain your beans)
2 tsp cumin (<-- the really important spice!) 1 Tbs dried oregano Dash cayenne pepper, to taste. There's a rough estimate. No need to be fancy. Now, throw it all into a crockpot and cook it on low for 5+ hours. Done! Glorious. I don't like extra stuff in my chili like peppers or chiles. Blech. Simplify. Now for the "official" cornbread recipe, since that stuff can be more finicky. I honestly don't remember where I got this, but it's not mine.

Sweet Cornbread


Ingredients
1 1/2 C Flour
2/3 C sugar
1/2 C cornmeal
1 Tbs baking powser
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 C oil
3 Tbs butter, melted
1 1/4 C milk

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease loaf pans or round pan.

2. Combine dry incredients in medium bowl, wet in small bowl. Pour wet into dry and mix just until combined.

3. Pour into pan(s) bake 35m or until wooden pick comes out clean.


Picture!





Mmmm chili!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home