30 March 2008

It's Not Stupid, It's Advanced!

In the last few days, I've had some cooking successes, and I've also had some (good and bad) learning experiences.

I learned that I don't bake very well (I can manage to burn just about anything, including taco shells and cookies), but the cookies that I didn't burn turned out alright. I made 101 Cookbooks' Nibby Buckwheat Butter Cookies, but I substituted chocolate chips in for cacao nibs, since honestly I didn't know what those were or where to get them. I didn't understand why they had to be put in the fridge, since it just made the non-circular log that I made cold and hard to shape. The original poster flattened the dough out and used cookie cutters. That would have been a better option, since the cookies would have had a uniform thickness which would have prevented edge-burning.

Since I didn't want to spend a lot of money buying pre-tempura'd shrimp, I made some of my own this weekend using the recipe for Tempura Shrimp from Sushiday. They turned out pretty well, but I didn't originally have the oil hot enough to instantly fry the shrimp, so the batter ran out into the pan. I used the tempura shrimp to make a Spicy Tempura Roll. Tasty!!

I also tried the recipe for the Super Bowl Rock N'Roll via Sushiday. While they were tasty, it was a little weird tasting essentially american ingredients inside maki.

But deviled egg sushi...oh man. Give me those any day! I ended up making it into a roll instead of piled on top of rice, since it was easier for me. Meh, it all eats the same.

Tonight I'll be making dinner for my mom since her birthday is coming up. Stay tuned for pictures of that!

Meanwhile, happy noming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home